2/25/2008

Progress on pre-alpha part 2

I was mainly working on Opengl renderer,the SDL blit speed is simply not good enough for 32bit color tiles,with 800x600/32x32 tiles and 256 Guichan image buttons,an optimized windows/linux release build linked against release version of SDL(provided by SDL site/distro,assuming they are O2) runs at approximately 10fps,while a debug one runs at about 5fps on windows/3fps on linux.
Now Opengl renderer is working and it has much better performance than SDL,but it will require a 3D card that supports 1.1 version of opengl.
Data loading via GM is sorta working,I can load info of different ship parts from .gm files.Current goal is to make a working ship sprite with 8 directions(45 degree per frame),so I could test the mobile object class I wrote earlier.Another goal is keeping both texture size and texture amount as low as possible,my goal is keeping total amount under 32MB.

32MB = 32 * 1024 * 1024 B = 32 * 512 * 512 * 4 B = roughly 32 512x512 32bit bitmap's

Wow that's a lot,now I should really stop talking to myself on this lifeless blog and get back to coding. =)

No comments: